Tuesday 21 June 2011

A bit clearer now!

Well, that wasn't so bad. Had my first day with Odis, and although I didn't really get much hands-on, I have got a few answers (as follows)...

So starting with my opener - 'what is Odis?'
Turns out it's just new software for the diagnostic equipment.
So I'm not going to get a shiny new laptop, just a change in how I operate the VAS5051.

My next one answered was 'what does it do?'
A much more interesting answer that I was only too happy to hear:

Essentially the same as before, but with much more online systems integrated to it, such as ElsaPro (AT LAST!!!)
From what I've seen so far, you can get TPIs and current flows whilst in the middle of a test plan - sounds very handy, but will reserve judgement till I've used it!

Final big one answered - 'why do we need it?'
Well, aside from the fact that it should make the job a bit easier / quicker, it is also capable of communicating to vehicles with a new type of control unit, which VWG vehicles are being built with as of next year. So the killer point is, when these arrive in our workshops, we won't be able to talk to them with the current 5051 software. Fair point - better get my head round it quick smart!!!

Another day with it tomorrow, so will hopefully get back with more answers,

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment